Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Battle of the Holiday Bulge

There is something about this time of year that makes me want to eat. I realize with the holidays we all battle this. We are surrounded by desserts, delicious dishes, family foods, and drinks made to please the pallet. It's more than that for me right now. I feel I am also not able to eat the foods I want on a daily basis.

The change of seasons has made grocery shopping less appealing for me. I love fruits and veggies. Have you seen how the fruits look this time a year?! Not only are they not as fresh and ripe as I would like, they are over priced. I find myself standing in front of the strawberries and blueberries pondering if I want to spend five dollars on them or keep walking. I am frugal in my shopping. I will bring a calculator and try to keep it at the allowed amount that day. When I see an item I want that I consider over priced, I sadly walk away.

It is important to me to eat healthy. It is equally, if not more, important for me to try to feed my children healthy foods as well. If you have a toddler then you may know how hard it can be to feed them a balanced meal. (Refer to my post in November: Can I Skip Dinner Please). Since both my boys love fruits I try to be sure I have an assortment in our house. These days it is slim pickings.

I have resorted to buying frozen fruits. They hold the same nutritional value and when I use them in my daily smoothies, they taste just as good. Frozen fruit is cheaper and you can get a little more for your money. Bonus right?! Yes and no. Have you tried to thaw some strawberries to hand to your wee one? They still are on the mushy side. There really is nothing like fresh fruit! I love strawberry and blueberry season. Right now I am mourning both.

Vegetables too are not at their peak. Luckily my grocery store has a good selection and isn't  disappointing me as much in this area. As with fruits, I am not one to buy canned veggies or frozen veggies. I keep a few on hand, the kids love peas. I just enjoy cooking and eating handful's of fresh fruits and veggies. I am missing our box garden to pick from.


The cold is now setting in and the nightly salad I would have with dinner is becoming less appealing to me. I want warmer, more comfort food these days. 

My diet is a way of life for me. What I put into my body is important. I work at keeping myself in shape. I am not one that can eat whatever I want and not have it affect me. Since I have had children my body has needed extra attention. Let's face it, I am not 21 anymore. There use to be a time it didn't matter, I am no longer in that time.

I have surrendered myself to the fact that during the holiday season I may gain a few extra pounds. I am okay with that. I do believe in indulging! Over the next couple of weeks there will be gatherings with friends and family and I fully intend to enjoy these times without restrictions. It doesn't mean that doesn't come with guilt though. I will be honest, I get food guilt after I have consumed that piece of chocolate cake or had that extra glass of wine. This just means I will work a little harder after the holidays. It is me against the battle of the holiday bulge. I will win in the end!




3 comments:

  1. I feel you! The other day strawberries were $6 at the grocery store! However, I do like some frozen vegetables...they come in handy in the winter months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved my smoothies this month! They make me feel so good and then I can eat little more for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a smoothie every day for my mid morning snack. Always ensures that I am getting good things into my body, especially on the days I indulge!

      Delete