Friday, October 10, 2014

International Baby Wearing Week: A tradition to celebrate

Good Morning & Happy Friday! I can't believe the week is almost over and I haven't gotten the chance to sit down to write about Baby Wearing! Why? For me I have always loved wearing my children. Especially this second time around. Wearing Wesley was something that I did often if I was going to get anything done. I wore Chase a lot when I went walking or hiking. I always love the feeling of my child pressed up against me. Close. Tight. That is where a baby belongs, right next to your heart. When they get too big, time to wear them like the little monkeys they are, right on your back.
Chase & Mama. My first Mothers Day ~ Using the Moby Wrap

I wore Chase even while I was pregnant with Wesley. One of the last small hikes I did I was 7 months  pregnant with Chase, on my back in the Ergo. I probably would have carried him even longer if he would have let me yet this independent little man insisted on hiking and walking through the woods himself. I tell him often that he is my favorite hiking partner.

Getting work done.

When Wesley came I was faced with the task every mother is faced with when that second child arrives. It is called the "balancing act". I was trying to figure out how to take care be a slave to my toddler, nurture my baby, and maintain my household chores. I am not one to sit still. I have to move. I need to feel productive. Wesley would not let me put him down for much of the first 6 months. If I was going to get any work done I had to wear him. I cooked with him on me. Vacuumed, worked at my laptop, did laundry, whatever it was that needed to get done, I had to do it with him attached to me.  He hated his car seat so even grocery shopping could get ugly when he was first born. Thank God for baby wearing! I still, with him being a year, wear him as often as I can. If we go for a walk I prefer to wear him rather than put him in a stroller. Funny fact: Wesley didn't get in a stroller at all until he was 10 months old.

Hiking using the Ergo
Baby wearing is not new. Baby wearing has been used for thousands of years. Baby Carriers have been made out of several different things: blankets, shawls, woven cloths, pouches, backpacks, and bags. Each culture has a unique way of wearing their babies. Baby wearing was essential for many women. If one was going to work they wore their baby while doing so. The only thing new about baby wearing is the carriers that have been created to do so.

My two favorites are the Ergo and the bitybean.  I be sure that I am never without one of them any where I go.I will actually be sad when I can't wear my children anymore. I really love having my child next to me. This time with them goes by so fast. Keeping my child close to me is how I want it to be.
Taken the day we adopted our kitty in May

There are so many baby carriers out there. Find what one works for you and your babe. Wear your baby as long as you can! Happy International Baby Wearing Week!






No comments:

Post a Comment