Thursday, August 6, 2015

Baking From My Garden: Zucchini Muffins

In my house we love veggies. Even my children are pretty good about eating vegetables. This year we expanded our box gardens and added zucchini to our mix. I was pleasantly surprised how happy they were in their small little home. We have been pulling zucchini's off and I have been happy seasoning them and eating them for lunch. I have been using coconut oil and a few seasonings then baking them in the oven for 15 minutes making a healthy and tasty lunch. I even throw in some Bella mushrooms or tomatoes for taste.


Last night it was time to do some baking with my zucchini. Now that they are coming faster than I can eat them I needed to do something different with them. Instead of zucchini bread that I typically do I decided to make zucchini muffins. I changed the recipe up from what I did last year with my bread and they turned out so good! Even both boys loved them. I attempted to hide them in the cupboard but Chase has gotten good about jumping up on the counters and found them resulting in devouring an extra one.

Here is my recipe:

Zucchini Muffins

3 cups of flour (I used 1/2 white & 1/2 wheat)
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 1/4 cups of dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon of cinnamon (plus or minus for taste, I like a little extra cinnamon)
3 eggs
1/3 cup of Virgin Coconut Oil
3 teaspoons of vanilla extract 
2 ripe banana's 
1/4 cup of Applesauce 
2 cups of grated zucchini 


Mash two ripe banana's and add in the cinnamon and put aside. I tend to have extra ripe banana's in my freezer. If you don't you can even use a food processor or blender to soften the banana's.

Grate up zucchini. One large zucchini equals approximately 2 cups.

In  large bowl mix eggs, vanilla, coconut oil, applesauce, and banana's.

Once mixed add in your baking soda, baking powder, sugar and flour.

After you have mixed all ingredients together add in your zucchini.

Make sure it is mixed well and add to your muffin pans. Bake at  325 for 30 to 40 minutes depending on your oven. Voila! You now have a yummy treat!



These are best right out of the oven though we discovered this morning that they were still soft and delicious for breakfast too!

This mix made 18 large muffins and 12 mini muffins.

Enjoy! Let me know if you like this recipe! Be sure to share them too! 


3 comments:

  1. I'm eating zucchini bread as I read this! Not my own though, our zucchinis aren't doing well this year. I love the addition of banana to this recipe - will be pinning :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that the banana's help to keep it moist. We loved them and I shared with the neighbors so another batch will be done today or tomorrow. I have to share them though or else I will eat them...all! Then there is the brown sugar while baking that I just want to spoon feed myself!

      Delete
  2. It is a fantastic pressuring abridge. My business is somewhat commodious content small the widely used. You place of study course totally fresh utes. Rivalry that will constantly in place. Belittle running a blog. Seeking to assessing the actual wasteful subjected. supplement store singapore

    ReplyDelete