Friday, March 25, 2016

Mexican Chicken Nachos

A couple weeks back when looking through a take out menu I came across chicken nachos. I use to love nachos! Prior to when I started caring about what I put in my body, I use to make my own. It was an easy dinner to make and paired well with a few beers and friends. It had been years since I made nachos until a few weeks back when I decided I would see if I could try to take some calories out and make them "semi" healthy. Since I am  80/20% when it comes to clean eating (the 20% comes in on the weekends when we order out or make something I wouldn't typically eat during the week) I knew I had to try to make a new spin on them.



I don't know about you but I also love Mexican food. Okay, well I love most any food buy Mexican food is pretty good. I decided I would cook my chicken in a taco seasoning. Use whatever you like. If you make your own that's great otherwise I just used a packaged taco seasoning to add to my chicken.


I wanted to find a tortilla chip that wasn't terribly bad for you. I discovered Late July and it was the perfect chip for this recipe. They are gluten free, organic, multi grain and taste yummy. I layered my pan with the chips then began adding a few toppings.


I kept it simple and just used a couple of ingredients. Refried Beans was a must. Refried beans are low in saturated fats and cholesterol and a good source of protein, magnesium, potassium, and dietary fiber. The down side is it can be high in sodium but they do make some that are lower in sodium if that is a dietary concern.

I did two layers (thin with each) of cheese. I chose Sorrento Reduced Fat Mexican Cheese for this. After my first layer of cheese over the refried beans I then I used black olives. Next came the chicken followed by the last layer of cheese. I baked it for 15 - 20 Mins at 350 and it was ready to eat. We used Hood Low Fat Sour Cream to top our nachos.


Maybe not entirely healthy, yet not entirely bad for you either. It's a great appetizer for a party or a weekend dinner with a few drinks. I love appetizers and finger foods and this hit the spot.If you are looking for an easy and tasty recipe this weekend give it a try!




Mexican Chicken Nachos:
2 chicken breasts, cut up and cooked 
Taco Seasoning
1 bag of Late July Tortilla's 
1/2 a can of refried beans (more if desires)
1/4 to 1/2 a can of black olives (I bought a large can and sliced them myself)
Sorrento Reduced Fat Mexican Cheese (Sorry, no measurement on this one. I just tend to "eyeball" it!) 



Layer as desired and enjoy! Happy Friday! Cheers!


Recent Posts: 
My Fourteen Mile Adventure
Plant Protein To Fuel Your Day
Making Time For Myself
Do Opposites Really Attract? 



Get Social With Me!!!
Facebook 
Instagram 
Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm nachos! You know I'm a fan ;) Looks delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The primary conjectures are typically vis aways upright confer of which are normally formulated truly well numerouss. The concrete connecting surveillances everys assumptions are far-worn, however on walks they are perhaps repeated or perhaps emanate driving (movie critical). It's cipher always extremity truly what this founder quotes to from the being. health supplement singapore

    ReplyDelete