Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Dialing Santa and canceling the Easter Bunny

Living with an almost four year old at Christmas time can be exciting. Then there are moments when it can also be rather exhausting. Lately I feel like I am repeatedly threatening to call Santa. That's right, I tell my child if he does not behave I am calling Santa. I have even picked up the phone to "call" him. Moments like this I really wish there were a Santa. I would call him, have him march his ass over here and put my kid in his place. Then reality slaps me in the face and I realize that I am Santa and it is ME who needs to wrangle the little animal and hope to God that he pulls it together so I do not turn into the Grinch. 

How often am I dialing Santa? I pretty much pull out the Santa card twenty a few times a day. It is effective for short periods of time. It allows mama to pull herself back together and prepare for the next mishap in our house. This may not be parenting at its finest, this I understand. Let's face it, kids want there to be Christmas so in a desperate moment calling Santa may just do the trick.


The problem with this is that soon after we are left with no Santa. We have to wait months before we pull out the Santa card. Yeah, there is the Easter bunny. He too could just hop on by our house. I am sure that I may slip up and threaten that one as well. After Christmas I will still be left with the same child, and no Santa Claus. I have to also admit I pull out the: "If you don't start behaving you are not going to school today!" card. Chase LOVES school. For him to not go would be painfully sad for him. Let's be honest here though, if I kept him home it would be equally painful for me.

Parenting, as many of you know, is the most challenging thing we will ever do. There are classes, books, along with several professionals who are all ready and willing to tell you just how to raise your kid and what you are doing wrong. I may read the occasional article but I don't do those books. I believe each child and home is unique. Most of us are doing the best we can. Some days are harder than others. I feel like I am the biggest critic of myself. I know some days I need to try harder and be better. That is what tomorrow is always for right?! I am learning. My children are learning.

I know there are other tactics besides dialing Santa Claus, I do attempt those as well. Some days though it is just easier and more effective to call on the big guy in the red suit. Besides, does it this form of parenting ever change. There will always be some variation of it: taking away the car, not being allowed to go out with friends, and keeping them home from a date they have been waiting to go on. It goes on and on and on...

Happy Holidays to you all. If you are in the same boat as me, I send you hopeful vibes. Time for me to go...I have to make a phone call...to Santa!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I've called Santa, too! Chase has a Birthday in January, you can use that maybe?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birthdays are sacred, I won't take that away from him. I'm not "that" mean of a mom ;) I will just have to move on to the Easter Bunny.

      Delete