Tuesday, November 3, 2015

What The Scale Doesn't Tell You

When I first began my journey to become a healthier and better me the scale was my best friend. I started counting calories, logging every meal, and weighing myself weekly to be sure I was on the right track. This strategy worked for me and I stuck to it for a couple of years. Every Tuesday morning I would get on the scale and those little numbers would flash at me letting me know if I was keeping up with my goals. The scale told me my weight in numbers but it did not tell me the things I needed to know which I would later learn. 




Each Person Is Unique: What a person weighs is a number that is individual to themselves. There is such a stigma put on people about what you "should" weigh, the ideal weight. Yes, there is an ideal weight for each person. That number is for that person and no one else. I may be the same height as my friend, we may be the same age, but that does not mean our bodies are the same at all. Be sure that you are comfortable with your weight. Check in with a doctor or nutritionist if you question what your target weight should be. Never go with what your friend weighs or a chart tells you you should weigh.

It's Better To Be Fit Than Skinny: Those damn numbers again! It is exciting when we see the scale go down. You need to be sure that in an effort to lose weight you are doing so in a healthy manner. When I initially lost weight I was focusing on what I was putting into my body. Then when I started to exercise and strength train on a regular basis I gained weight. I was still in the same size pants, I wasn't eating more, it was that I was in better shape and building muscle. It was hard to see the scale go up, I will not lie about that. In time I realized that those numbers were not important. When I looked in the mirror I could be proud of the work I put into being fit. No scale was going to take that away from me.

It's A Roller Coaster: Up and down and down and up. You can weigh yourself everyday, every week or once a month. Your weight is going to fluctuate! It is frustrating especially when you are trying with so much effort to reach a certain goal. I get it! Once you reach your goal try this, put your scale away. There are going to be vacations, Holidays and times when you slip up. Not every week is going to be perfect. I am not saying to never weigh yourself, it is important to stay on track, Maybe just not weigh yourself as often. Try this, instead of focusing on a number, focus on how you feel. Focus on your energy level, your exercise routine and the things you put into your body. Eat clean and wholesome foods and choose healthy alternatives whenever you can. Yes, it is okay to indulge. It is different for everyone yet for me keeping the balance is allowing myself a cheat day. This may not work everyone and some choose to not even tempt themselves. Do what is best for you.

Numbers Are Not Who You Are: No matter what you weigh here is something important to remember: The scale does not define who you are as a person. You are strong, beautiful, handsome, and amazing! It is not always easy to see it and certainly not something that we always feel. Do not get lost in your fitness journey. Embrace it and strive for a healthier you. Look in the mirror and tell yourself you are worth it. Be patient and know that the work takes time and effort. You can reach your goals and will as long as you stay committed.

It is important to be healthy and live a lifestyle that exemplifies this. It is also important to be good to yourself, to take care of yourself, and love yourself. 

I bought a really nice scale over two years ago. I can probably count on both hands how many times I have stepped on it since the day I got it. I no longer get caught up in the numbers because that is all they are. Those numbers do not define me, don't let them define you!

“Be brave and be patient. Have faith in yourself; trust in the significance of your life and the purpose of your passion. You are strong enough to sit in the space between spaces and allow divine inspiration to shed some light. When you put positive energy and productive effort into the world it will come back to you. Occasionally in ways you might not immediately understand and on a time frame you didn’t expect. Look. Listen. Learn. Stay open. Your destiny is awaiting you.” ~ Jillian Michaels 



Hey friends! If you liked this post please "like" and share! Head on over to my Facebook Page, Twitter and Instagram to connect with me.

27 comments:

  1. I initially set my goal weight at 130 lbs but I listened to my body slowing down on the weight loss and changed it to 140 lbs. I'm happy here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is all that matters! YOU have to be happy in your own skin. Great job!

      Delete
  2. AMEN! The fact that I once was 140 lbs. and 12% body fat means so much more to me than the first number ever could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only a number. I hate how so many people get caught up in it. That is what is not healthy. Sounds like you know exactly how to take care of you!

      Delete
  3. I love all these points and it's an important reminder. It's so easy to get caught up on a number! I actually want to throw my scale away eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just took mine out the other day to weigh my sandbags. It was covered in a thick layer of dust. Being on both sides of watching the numbers vs watching my body, I like the side I am on now!

      Delete
  4. I hear you! I don't know how many times the numbers on the scale have (and sometimes still do) ruin my entire day! I already know this stuff but yet, I still let it get to me even though I know it can change by 3 pounds in one day! What's that all about?! Great post! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it evil how it can ruin your day! Reality is our weight can fluctuate day to day. So glad you liked the post! Thank for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Great post! All great points about what the scale doesn't tell. I have to remind myself about these sometimes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need to be reminded, I still do. Happy you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  6. I needed to read this. I try not to get on the scale because I hate that little number! haha. But you are so right with all of these. I love 'it's better to be fit than skinny'. I don't think I could ever be considered traditionally skinny, but I can run a marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running a marathon is far more amazing than being skinny!! Think of the muscled that carried you through. Those are much more sacred than a low number on the scale!

      Delete
  7. Right now I am struggling with some health issues for me and for my kid. I'm not losing weight.

    But I am working out 4 to 5 days a week, eating much healthier, and doing okay. That is so worth it. My weight hasn't come down, but my clothes sizes have and my *bad* numbers at the doctor's office are now in the *good* range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What matters is that you are doing it!!! Remember that, focus on that part of it. Forget the numbers for now and be proud of the work you are putting in!

      Delete
  8. Hi there.. stopping by from FetileBrains (http://fertilebrain.com) via MommyAToZ Blog Hop. Wow! Every single point resonated with me... i spent most of my 20s chasing the skinny...now in my mid-30s I know exactly what you mean when you say it's better to be fit! And yes, a fun rollercoaster it is :) Very well said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Glad you can relate to this post. I think we get wiser as we get older. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I love this post! I finished today a series of blogs on weight loss done the healthy way and my focus today was mainly on what the scale doesn't show.
    There's so much in health than just pounds or kilos.
    Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Debbie!!! I just want other women to take a moment and think about what health means to them and be sure they are taking care of themselves. We get too caught up in numbers. So glad you enjoyed this!

      Delete
  10. What a great post! I haven't stepped on a scale in years. #ManicMondayBlogHop

    ReplyDelete
  11. YEEESS. While I will admit I have a slight addiction to stepping on the scale, all of this is so true. Your weight day to day can fluctuate so, so much and we need to keep in mind that one day is not the end all be all of our weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to not step on the scale. There was a time I did it as I mentioned in the post. It took me awhile but once I put that scale away I learned to focus on my body and not those numbers. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. There is not enough YES in the world to cover this post! Thanks for linking up to Meetup Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine!! I appreciate that and so glad you liked it!!!! Happy to be a part of the Meetup Monday!

      Delete
  13. The roller coaster is tough! I was doing great... and then Halloween hit and my son's birthday immediately after. I'm trying my best, though! Thanks for linking up at the Manic Mondays blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holidays always mess things up! Trying your best is awesome! Stressing about it only makes it harder!

      Delete
  14. Many thanks pertaining to this fabulous venerate. It really is this kind of frolicsome in order to term onward for your weblog. Many thanks to the great putting up! The particular weblog has been entirely exceptional! A lot of well known information in the same way stimulation, washed-up of which we drinker hope! Your blog is usually careful decorous, My partner and i as it! Thanks a lot to your expressing! vitamin singapore

    ReplyDelete