Tuesday, June 3, 2014

We got a "Horsey"

Animals have always been a part of my life. Since  I was a child we had pets. Kizzy was the cat I had growing up. She lived to be 19. I was away at my first year of college when she passed away on her own. Then there was Chops. She was the dog we had growing up. I have a very vivid memory of her as a puppy and that was when I was two. Chops lived to be 16! We had hamsters. I had mice.  Mom had a small bird at one point. I  even had rats when I was a teenager. One of them use to sit on  my shoulder when I did homework. Yes, I said rat. Don't under estimate this creature, they are actually great pets but their life span is very short.

When I was little I wanted to be a veterinarian. You know, like every other child. I remember dressing up as a veterinarian for a school one day. As I grew up I hadn't intended to end up in the veterinary field. It actually happened by accident (I went to school for Social Services & psychology which comes in quite handy with working with people who own pets!)

It comes naturally then that I want animals to be a part of my family's life as they were a part of mine growing up. Chase, as he is so much like his mama, loves animals too. The last of my cats passed away last August so it has just been the two dogs and one grumpy guinea pig. Until Saturday. Saturday we got a "Horsey"

"Horsey" The Cat




Our local Humane Society  had an event this weekend called Maddie's Fund Adoption Day. We have been talking about getting another cat for a couple of months. We had a birthday party around the corner so I figured after the party we would go check it out. I wasn't going to go home with just any cat either, if we didn't find a fit, then it wasn't meant to be. Then we met "Horsey". We were actually in a room looking at another cat. He came out and came over to us and rubbed up on me & Chase and insisted on being pet. He picked us! He said, he guys, take me home!! So we did. As for the name, it was all Chase. In talking about getting a new cat a couple of weeks ago, I asked what he would name it, he said "Horsey". As we were waiting to fill out paperwork I asked him what he wanted to name him, it still remained "Horsey".

I have had people say to me (and they are lucky I didn't slap them) that children and animals don't belong together. I strongly disagree. Having animals teaches love, compassion, & responsibility.

So far "Horsey" is adapting well. Matter of fact he was just sitting with Chase because he chose to! He was meant to be here and a part of my son's life. I hope Chase will remember how we went and adopted this cat. How Chase helped save him and gave him a happy home.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to meet Horsey! He looks like a love! I love that he found you guys! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww. He looks so sweet. I can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's super sweet. Last night he was laying next to Chase's bed after I got him settled. I think we found a keeper :)

    ReplyDelete