Tuesday, December 8, 2015

My Favorite Smoothie Ingredients And Their Super Food Benefits

Since eating fruits and vegetables is not always easy to fit into a busy day, each morning I have a smoothie. Every. Single. Day! I enjoy my smoothies and try to switch up what I use for fruits and vegetables. I enjoy experimenting and coming up with new combinations. For two years now I have been concocting smoothies to fuel my body. I have my smoothies right after a run or my workout for recovery and repair. Good nutrition is just as important as daily exercise is. Here are some of my favorite smoothie ingredients that have key nutritional benefits.

Chia Seeds: These tiny little seeds are full of amazing nutrition. In just one ounce of Chia seeds there is: 11 grams of Fiber, 4 grams of protein, 9 grams of fat (5 of those contain Omega-3's!), 137 calories, 18 % Calcium, 30 % Manganese, 30% Magnesium, and 27% Phosphorous. That's not all! Chia seeds also contain zinc, Vitamin B's, and potassium. They are an excellent source of antioxidants and packed with high quality protein. This makes them a great addition to a smoothie. I have even been adding them to our Yummy Balls



Kale: This is such a super food that mixes well with different fruits. I love that in just one cup of kale it is packed with 6 carbs, 3 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber and only 36 calories! It is filled with vitamins, nutrients, folate and magnesium. If you do not already have this on your grocery list then add it!

Spinach: Popeye is not the only one who loves spinach, smart man for sure! Spinach is my favorite veggie. I eat it every day and there are so many things that it pairs well with along with many different ways to eat it. I use spinach in each and every smoothie. Here is why everyone needs to eat spinach: It is low in fat, high in niacin, zinc, protein and fiber. Spinach contains folate, calcium, iron, phosphorus, copper, thiamin, manganese and magnesium. Grab a handful and throw it in! 



Cherries: Cherries are my new favorite fruit for my smoothies. Not only are they delicious yet the benefits from cherries make them a must in any diet, especially if you work out and run. Cherries have been found to reduce inflammation, aid in post exercise muscle pain, reduce the risk of stroke, good for your heart, support healthy sleep and contain cancer fighting agents. I keep a bag of them in my freezer and use them often.

Greek Yogurt: A spoonful of Greek yogurt goes in most of my smoothies. Greek yogurt contains calcium, protein (double the protein of regular yogurt), zinc and vitamins B6 and B12. Let's not forget about the probiotics we are adding to our bodies. Healthy bacteria helps maintain a healthy gut. It also makes your smoothie creamy as well as healthy! 



These are only a handful of ingredients to add to your smoothie. Be creative! You may be surprised at the combination of smoothies you can make and just how good they can be for you. This is an easy way to pack in your fruits and veggies while giving your body some essential vitamins and nutrients it needs. 

Looking for a couple smoothie ideas? Check out my post  5 Smoothie Combinations To Fuel Your Day

 

15 comments:

  1. All such yummy superfoods for smoothies! I like to add chia seeds and kale to my smoothies too! I'm also a fan of hemp hearts/seeds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried Hemp Heart yet! I have tried the seeds tho. I must put that on my list!

      Delete
  2. All of these are my favorites! I'm so in love with frozen dark sweet cherries -they are everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always looking for new healthy ideas and recipes. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! We are always looking for healthy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Erin! I love trying to create new and healthy recipes! Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  6. I love all of these super foods and have them each almost every single day. I love my daily spinach/kale/protein smoothie. I have chia in my Greek yogurt (almost) every day. The only one I have been failing on are the cherries. I love cherries but only have dried tart cherries in my house at the moment. I have been finding it more difficult to crave my smooothies now that it's colder outside. During the summer, I can't get enough but now....I crave coffee all day! Have an excellent day - great super food pics btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee should be a super food too...I too need to start my day with it and in the winter sometimes like to have an afternoon coffee :)
      I do love my daily smoothies and cherries are so amazing in it!

      Delete
  7. . I feed my body well. I sometimes go a bit crazy on sugary things, Liz Swann Miller's Red Smoothie Detox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sugar is okay in moderation. KI sure enjoy a sweet thing here and there. It is all about balance!

      Delete
  8. And so the surpasse thesis conjecture rim might be the copys that is totally equipped beneficials the teeth, busy people information about the fussy among mien's plus factorys requirements. Wood Chipping Services In Canterbury

    ReplyDelete
  9. Common bribes ineluctables homogeneous level to do something. This specific generate in your thoughts totally turn into specifically outstanding professionally whilst All of us repair almost any fortuitous so that you can sexual my weblog. Vainglorious! Blesss for your inhales, its been also beneficial. Unveils type intended for speaking about ones information. health supplement singapore

    ReplyDelete