Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Simple Things

It doesn't take much to warm the heart of a child. We don't need to shower them with toys that cost dollars more than which they should. Sometimes it is the smallest things that can make them happy. The Simple things.

Don't get me wrong, I too like to buy my children things when I have a few dollars. There is something about seeing your children light up over that new toy or "thing" you got them. And when they are three years old the happiness of their little face is all the appreciation you need.

Valentines Day I wanted to get a little something for Chase but since he just had his birthday and Christmas was right before that, I was not about to go overboard. I settled on stickers for his sticker book, a coloring book and poster, and a stuffed dog. Chase has an entire pop up hamper filled with stuffed animals. It's is not like the child needs more. I found this little dog. He was a dollar! Hell yeah! Now that is what I am talking about. I figured he would get tossed aside right away anyway, but he was cute.


This new little stuffed dog has already served it's purpose well. Chase is going through a phase where at night he is scared of monsters, dinosaurs, and "the guy" (don't get me started on that one, freaky!!) The boy has quite an imagination and is good about working himself up lately and needing some extra consoling. He wanted to sleep with the dog. He typically doesn't sleep with his stuffed animals, he is a blanket boy, (Linus and him would get along great!) Later that night I went to check on him and this is what I found :






Every night for the past 4 nights that dog sleeps with him. We place him on the pillow to "protect" Chase from the dreaded monsters and dinosaurs that lurk in his room late at night ;)  It gives him a sense of comfort.

Chase also likes to give it to Wesley. Saturday out of the blue Chase went to grab the dog and said he wanted Wesley to have it for a little while. Yesterday Wesley was upset so Chase went to get the dog for him.


This dog may have only been a dollar, but it is already worth so much more than that! I didn't need to buy a big stuffed dog for 30 dollars, or a Tonka truck, or 20 matchbox cars (all those things I am sure he would have happily taken) just a small dog for a dollar.

I want my children to focus on the meaning of a gift, not the price. This gift was a reminder for even myself of just that. It is up to us to teach our children these simple lessons. It is in a single moment that our children teach us too.

1 comment:

  1. It's so true and so charming! The most exciting thing to Landon about his Birthday was the cake! I just find it so precious.

    ReplyDelete