Monday, February 15, 2016

Make It A Way Of Life, Not A Diet

We are a product of how we live, what we do, who we surround ourselves with and what we eat! Last week I told you about how after my first son was born I decided I needed to make some changes to the way I lived my life. Learning how to eat properly and exercise was something I had to self teach in order to make changes. I wanted to become a healthier person. I wanted to prove to myself that I was capable of doing this and set an example for my children in the process. It took time and patience for me to get where I am today. Am I where I want to be? No friends, it is always a work in progress.

I started with using Myfitnesspal years back as a tool to help me figure out what I was putting in my body versus what I needed to be putting in my body. I was neurotic about tracking every little thing I ate and drank. I logged each meal, snack and crumb that went into my mouth. It was exactly what I needed to stop and actually look at what I was putting into this body of mine. When you actually sit down and look at ingredients and the contents you can be surprised that sometimes what you think is healthy for you, is in no way healthy at all.


Once I fell into a rhythm it was no longer dieting, healthy habits became a way of life. This is where the focus shifts. I was able to stop tracking everything I ate because I had learned what my body needed, deserved and was asking for.  When you change the way you look at things it makes even the simplest things much easier. Once I got to a point where I wanted to maintain my weight the focus was staying healthy.

What works for me may not work for you. Each person is unique as is our activity level, body build, and nutritional needs. For me it became about learning how to balance. I still enjoy the foods I love just not in the way I use to. I love food! I could spend most of my day eating. Since we are being honest here I will tell you that I do eat a lot. From the time I get up to the time my head hits that pillow I am putting something in my mouth. I try to eat every two to three hours and I choose foods that fuel me. With being a runner and maintaining an active lifestyle my body needs to be replenished with foods that will give my body the energy it needs. When I am in "training mode" I tend to eat even more. My body needs those extra calories to perform properly. 



The focus of how I eat revolves a lot around my protein intake. Here are some benefits if eating a diet high in protein

* Makes you feel fuller longer
* It aids in skin, hair and muscle repair
* Increases energy
* Greater Muscle Development with strength training 
* May help in lower blood pressure
* Helps maintain better bone mass as we get older
* Protein can boost metabolism
* Helps to repair your body after injury
   
I start my day off with one egg cooked over easy on a Flatoutbread that has a light spread of goat cheese and topped with spinach. I like to put a slice of ham or bacon on it. I have been on this kick for awhile now. Granola or yogurt (sometimes both together) is another breakfast I enjoy. I love eggs though and could really eat them for every single meal. So eggs tend to be my first choice! I look forward to breakfast and go to bed thinking of it! Seriously, it is my favorite meal!

A few hours later after my morning workout I make my morning smoothie. I do this every single day! Some would think that one might get sick of smoothies every day yet there are so many different combinations you can make with superfood ingredients. I also include whey protein in my smoothies so it becomes the perfect post workout/run meal. 


Then I have lunch, snack, dinner and snack again! I wasn't lying when I said I eat a lot. It is thought that frequent meals may help to boost the metabolism. This method has worked for me for years and I plan to stick to it. Remember though, you have to make healthy snack and meal options for this to work.

Some of my favorite snacks include the following: yogurt, granola, protein bars, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, popcorn,  cucumbers, cottage cheese, and energy balls.


Dinner usually consists of some sort of seafood. I love seafood! I eat lots of salmon and mussels have been on my grocery list lately. Not everyone in the house feels the same way I do about fish so I also get my protein from chicken, chicken sausage and ground turkey. 

Fruits and veggies I eat throughout the day. Every meal has a veggie and snacking on fruit is something I do as well as encourage my children to make a healthy snack choice with a fruit. How I eat becomes an example for my children. It is important for them to know how to make healthy choices and feel empowered that the choice was theirs.

Now, does this mean I don't ever eat things that are "bad" or that I don't "indulge" from time to time? Let me tell you, I indulge! Friday night we always order out and I look forward to this. I enjoy chocolate and love desserts, cupcakes and cake. This mama also loves beer! (and Whiskey and wine) It is all that balance I mentioned earlier. I would say I have a 80/20 ratio when it comes to clean eating. I don't feel guilty about eating something that would not be in my daily menu. I deserve to indulge! 


None of this is hard. Healthy eating has become the best habit (after running) that I have developed over the past few years. I am committed to becoming a better me. Just as exercise is important, so is what you put into your body. Make smart choices, eat clean and enjoy the occasional cupcake or beer. As many things in life, you just have to figure out a balance.



Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist. All opinions are my own. Consult your doctor or registered dietitian if you have concerns regarding your diet. 


Let's get social!! Connect with me:
Facebook  
Twitter 
Instagram

15 comments:

  1. Yes, love eggs which is funny since I never ate them as a kid.
    Good tips, especially the salmon idea. We haven't had salmon in ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never ate eggs as a kid??!! Craziness. They are such a staple in my diet and so versatile!

      Delete
  2. This is all so true! I used to track everything I ate too, but now I just judge it based on how much each food item is going to help my body be a better runner. I do have a weakness for pizza, but I try not to eat it all the time because it's not doing much for me! It's such a different way of thinking about food and I love it more than thinking of food as "good" or "bad".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have a weakness for certain foods. Which is why I think if you eat good a majority of the time than it is OK to have those things you want and love. It really is about training yourself and your mind.

      Delete
  3. I love this post so much! I used to always be on never-ending diet cycles. It's even why I started running. But once I started running, I got competitive, so I started eating just to improve my performance and all of a sudden everything else feel into place. Knowing that what we eat either helps or harms has made a big difference. Eating clean also does help ease the guilt of not eating clean every once in a while, since like you said, it's only a percentage of the time. This girl here needs her wine...antioxidants yes! I do still find that I keep trying to cut carbs to "lighten up" a bit but when I do, I seem to feel weaker. I guess I still need to up my veggie and fruit intake because I have a huge appetite! Anyhow, great post! Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like this post! I feel when people "diet" they tend to fail. It's always about what is the new fad or what did that star do to look so good. We have to separate ourselves from everyone else and focus on what our own needs are and find a balance which works for us. Wine = antioxidants is right! You musn't give that up :) Have a great rest of your week!!

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, I fell off the wagon for my fitness pal again! x_x I've been just choosing healthier food options though, so there's that! :P I am so with you on making it a lifestyle vs. a "diet," and I'm all about the protein too! I think too many people keep looking for "quick fixes" that don't exist (and aren't sustainable/healthy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choosing healthier food options is still awesome! I absolutely agree about the "quick fix" statement. I always hate those commercials for diets that promise to drop 30 pounds and change your life. It may work for some but I feel people end up failing and gaining it all back because they were not taught the right way.

      Delete
  5. I love reading how you eat...so inspiring! I am currently starting an elimination/healing diet. It's hard, lots of meat, game, no grains or sugar. hoping the hard work pays off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elimination diet sounds hard. Good luck Kristen! I hope you reach your goals!I think it is so important to be good to our body's. How is running going??

      Delete
  6. Such a good lesson! I could not agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a good lesson! I could not agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that things like my fitness pal can help at the start and teach you how to portion control and manage things then it becomes a way of life and not a diet. It's a really important distinction for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks a lot to your expressing. I suppose here is the nearly all magnificent from the chain the actual fulfilling, presently there major end up being numerous chemicals corresponding that your techniques, i visualize these records. health supplement singapore

    ReplyDelete